Wednesday, November 23, 2011

How do you feel about the recent developments in the fashion industry?

Viet Nam's fashion has witnessed impressive progress, but still, there are typical barriers coming from small issues like the lack of good drawing papers or nice-quality fabric.I know some famous Vietnamese designers who have to buy fabric in Thailand or have it imported from European countries at a price one half as expensive as the same in the US. It's too high in comparison with the living standards in Viet Nam. But our designers have little choice.
Also, I have wandered around to look for good Vietnamese tailors, and have realised most of them are self-taught. Many are not trained systematically, and thus, it is common to see a dress that needs at least five steps to be made in only two or three. The tailor may think the other steps are not necessary, but in fact, they are the ones that determine the quality shape of a dress. That's why, regarding mass products, Vietnamese tailors can only work with simple designs. They don't have enough skills to make sophisticated ones.I joined the show because I really wanted to introduce my collection to the Vietnamese. I am glad to see the achievements that we have gained in the fashion field recently, and now I am ready and eager to contribute something to that development.
In the fall of 1961, I bought four soft black leather skins and made a vest to match Steve's, but fringed the bottom, with a scissors and pushed up multiple colored beads into the fringe. I made a matching shoulder bag with fringe and beads. There was a tiny bit of leather left over and I made a skirt stopping two inches above my knee, which I kept cutting shorter and shorter, thus the birth of the mini. I shortened the leather until he was MINE. I was soon hired as a "pass the hat girl" for the Playhouse Cafe and collected money for my folk singers, Bobby Zimmerman (Bob Dylan), Ritchie Havens, Fred Neil, and Steve, who renamed me "Peaches Latour". Steve was married, had a daughter Lisa, (Rosanna Arquette), and was recently separated from his wife, Brenda, who had been a nude model for artists. I had some serious competition.In my village apartment, I continued to sell leather clothes for men and women and used the money to move to Paris.
Mia and I showed our short leather clothes in the couture shows in Paris July 1964 after having been "discovered " by couturier, Louis Feraud. Our four inch above the knee dresses were called 'YeYe' fashions by the press, not minis. In London in the same summer, John Bates the designer of the house of Jean Veron, one of the first English ready to wear houses, designed above the knee dresses in Pop Art style.

No comments:

Post a Comment