Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Kim Kardashian leaves $1 million wedding ring at home

The 30-year-old newlywed has some serious bling: Her 20.5-carat platinum engagement ring is worth an estimated $1 million, and her platinum and diamond Lorraine Schwartz wedding band is worth around $200,000. "(But) I don't wear (any jewelry) to work out," she told Women's Wear Daily in an interview published Tuesday. "I was leaving the gym yesterday and I didn't have my (wedding) ring on, and there (were) all these photographers taking pictures, and I said to my sister, 'Just watch, Kourtney. You will see a story (bearing the headline) 'Kim Without Her Ring. Trouble in Paradise.'"
But rings aren't the only jewelry the reality star has banned from the gym. She's boycotted jewelry altogether any time that she's breaking a sweat. "I see women coming to the gym with earrings on, " she said. "I can't do it." Kardashian — who says she's "really big on Herve Leger V neck dresses" — is also completely jewelry free? when it's time to hit the sack. "For some reason I need it all off," she said. "(But some people) sleep with their earrings on."
So what's Kardashian's caveat when it comes to jewelry in the Kardashian Kollection? "I am really really picky about my finishes," she said. "We also have to make sure the pieces are not too heavy, especially earrings."
As a former women’s studies major and daughter of the ’70s, finding a prince is not top on the list of goals I envision for empowered young women. Reflecting on the Disney princess movies, though, finding a prince who will save the day and whisk you off your feet is exactly the value being sold. How about a woman who saves the prince instead? Or, even better, one who doesn’t even know any princes, is really self-sufficient, and lives happily ever after anyway?
As it turns out, around the same time I wondered about the messages and models my new daughter would soon face, Orenstein was having similar thoughts and the idea for Cinderella Ate My Daughter was born. In the book, she tells the story of how a Disney vice president struck gold in the late '90s when he went to a Disney on Ice show and saw, horror of horrors, girls running around in homemade princess dresses. God forbid this kind of role-playing should include any creative thinking or variation!

No comments:

Post a Comment